Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Stars Kill Rock
Wednesday, April 06, 2005
It was on my 21st birthday that I bought my first yo-yo. At the time I was living in a small town an hour south of Nashville and decided that I was going to try to get signed to either K Records or Kill Rock Stars, both of these record labels are based out of Olympia Washington. So I caught a plane and headed northwest. When I arrived in seattle, I stopped by the space needle to satisfy my quest to see every World�s Fair location. I of course had to buy a souvenir, so I bought my first yo-yo� It was a dollar less than a snow dome.
Then I went to Olympia and talked to some folks at K and gave out a bunch of my demos. While I was there I saw three of the best shows of my life, and played with my yo-yo a lot.
Of course, I didn�t get signed, and actually it was a great realization for me to finally realize that I didn�t have what it takes to do music as a living. But all the influences of the Olympia rock scene have always continued to affect me. The DIY ethic that they had is what made me feel like I could just pick up a yo-yo and create. It was just like a guitar to me, and it became my new �music�.
So, check it� Today at 3pm, I�ve got a meeting with Slim Moon, the founder of Kill Rock Stars, and one of my teenage heroes. His �Would You Dance With This Man� is one of my all time favorite spoken word cd�s and my introduction to a whole new world of comedy timing and dark subtle humor.
The meeting is a job interview for a position at Kill Rock Stars and would require me to move to Olympia.
Here�s the thing, I don�t think I have a chance in hell of ever getting this job offered, and even if I did, I think I would turn it down.. I�m in love with San Francisco, and my performer career has really been doing well. I don�t wanna leave now, four months ago sure! But not now.
Anyway, it was a lifelong dream to move to Oly to work in the music business.. So I will at least consider it, and try my best at this interview, but like I said, I don�t expect to even get offered the job.
It is kind of neat though� I�ve got a song coming out on vinyl with a band out of Olympia, I�ve got a few other remixes coming along (one of which for another oly band) and then this job comes around.. It�s sort of like the completion of a cycle you know? I started with my goal being in Olympia doing something with music, I found this new thing that�s kept me feed and happy (and brought a certain level of obscure celebrity) and then everything comes back, music is happening and then this job� It�s weird. I kind of dread the idea of being offered the job right now.
Wednesday, April 06, 2005
It was on my 21st birthday that I bought my first yo-yo. At the time I was living in a small town an hour south of Nashville and decided that I was going to try to get signed to either K Records or Kill Rock Stars, both of these record labels are based out of Olympia Washington. So I caught a plane and headed northwest. When I arrived in seattle, I stopped by the space needle to satisfy my quest to see every World�s Fair location. I of course had to buy a souvenir, so I bought my first yo-yo� It was a dollar less than a snow dome.
Then I went to Olympia and talked to some folks at K and gave out a bunch of my demos. While I was there I saw three of the best shows of my life, and played with my yo-yo a lot.
Of course, I didn�t get signed, and actually it was a great realization for me to finally realize that I didn�t have what it takes to do music as a living. But all the influences of the Olympia rock scene have always continued to affect me. The DIY ethic that they had is what made me feel like I could just pick up a yo-yo and create. It was just like a guitar to me, and it became my new �music�.
So, check it� Today at 3pm, I�ve got a meeting with Slim Moon, the founder of Kill Rock Stars, and one of my teenage heroes. His �Would You Dance With This Man� is one of my all time favorite spoken word cd�s and my introduction to a whole new world of comedy timing and dark subtle humor.
The meeting is a job interview for a position at Kill Rock Stars and would require me to move to Olympia.
Here�s the thing, I don�t think I have a chance in hell of ever getting this job offered, and even if I did, I think I would turn it down.. I�m in love with San Francisco, and my performer career has really been doing well. I don�t wanna leave now, four months ago sure! But not now.
Anyway, it was a lifelong dream to move to Oly to work in the music business.. So I will at least consider it, and try my best at this interview, but like I said, I don�t expect to even get offered the job.
It is kind of neat though� I�ve got a song coming out on vinyl with a band out of Olympia, I�ve got a few other remixes coming along (one of which for another oly band) and then this job comes around.. It�s sort of like the completion of a cycle you know? I started with my goal being in Olympia doing something with music, I found this new thing that�s kept me feed and happy (and brought a certain level of obscure celebrity) and then everything comes back, music is happening and then this job� It�s weird. I kind of dread the idea of being offered the job right now.